Old August 6th 03, 05:02 PM
Cecil E. Chapman

"Jim Fisher" wrote in message
.. .
Long story but some financial doldrums I've experienced for the past year
look to be coming to an end. I sold my way-too-big house and am getting
into something less insane. Business is recovering and, I dare say,
rocking. My purdy wife still loves me. Life is good.

Good to hear!!! As I recall, you and I run similar businesses and it HAS
been unusually slow the past year or so. Can't say it's quite picking up,
out here in California but I'm holding on for the ride. Always good to hear
that their is a light at the end of the tunnel and it isn't necessarily a
train grin.

More importantly, soaring into the wild-ass yonder is again in my future.
I've got a buddy who has the same model Cherokee 180 I once owned. We've
been going up every now and then and sharing wet costs. He's offered to

put
me on his insurance as long as I'll pay the difference between what he and
his brother are paying now and whatever it will be when I am named on the
policy.

So what is that cost difference likely to be?

Second question: He doesn't fly much at all. Perhaps one a month or so.
Taking into account that I will be selflessly devoting time to keeping his
bird well-oiled and used to flying, what's a fair price to pay him per

Hobbs
hour?

The owner of a local FBO, whom I've done some PC/network support for, told
me that the actual cost of operation for his 172's was in the neighborhood
of $35/$40 Hobbs Hour and the C-152's (which are more like those low wings
that you fly GRIN/wink) about $25/hr. Now that is out here in the S.F.
Bay Area on the southernmost part of the peninsula, YMMV, but at least
there's a 'ball park' figure to begin with.

One of my customers who was a high-level V.P. in a computer software firm,
is now looking for work (granted he has the blessing of the 'golden
parachute') in the midst of our struggling California economy and recently
told me that he was having trouble making the time to fly his C-172 enough
and told me that I could fly it and just pay for gas and oil. He showed me
a copy of his insurance coverage (by the way, who writes those things
geez) and it covers whomever he designates to fly. May take him up on
it...

Anyway,,, great to hear that things are turning around,,, maybe it won't be
too long to wait here in good ole' California. I'll be looking forward to
those great Jim Fisher, flying stories,,, even if they will be about those
'woosy' low-wings.... ;-)

--
Good Flights!

Cecil E. Chapman, Jr.
PP-ASEL

"We who fly do so for the love of flying.
We are alive in the air with this miracle
that lies in our hands and beneath our feet"

- Cecil Day Lewis-

My personal adventures as a student pilot
and after my PPL: www.bayareapilot.com