Old November 3rd 07, 08:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell

Default How dangerous is soaring?

Nyal Williams wrote:
There's statistics, then there's damned statistics,
and then there's liars.

Your chances of having an accident are 1 in 2; either
you will or you won't.

You are confusing "probability" with "possibility". The chances are 3 in
4 of it attracting posts like this one, that discuss probability instead
of safety. I think even Tom Knauff stopped saying that.

Same is true of rope breaks,
of mid-airs, smothering in your sleep, or whatever.
It is up to you each and every time to prevent it.
Be wary!

But your advice is good.

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA