Old November 24th 09, 12:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
a[_3_]

Default Three take offs = three landings at Newton MS and Madison MS -Video

On Nov 24, 4:43*am, "Flaps_50!" wrote:
On Nov 24, 5:21*am, " wrote:

On Nov 22, 1:21*pm, "Flaps_50!" wrote:

This can be achieved by making use of
the back side of the power curve. Try to really land within the short
field specs of the plane i.e. to get her down and stopped by a certain
point on the runway.

Not sure how much further I could have gone on the back side of the
power curve flaps. *Stall horn was going strong on both landings. Any
slower airspeed and I would have plunged to the ground.

Try this: get the nose way up and add say 1/2 power. You've trimmed
for airspeed now with this high attitude so control airspeed with
power and aim point with elevator. You'll be amazed at your approach
angle in this very high drag config. If the stall peeps just open the
throttle a bit and keep that aim point fixed all the way down. Get
used to flying on the throttle with almost second by second subtle
power changes. Now you drop speed by reducing throttle on very short
final to say 10k over Vs. As you round out/flare you will shed energy
very fast as you simultaneously chop the throttle - you should be less
than 3' *AGL. The plane will settle firmly onto the mains in a _very_
high nose angle but that's what you want -all the weight on the mains
and no energy left.

Lots of drag is here to slow you down:
The wing really is deeply stalled.
Nose super high adding fuse drag
Lots of elevator trying to keep nose wheel off (the elevator should
end up all the way back -adding even more drag)
With all weight on the mains make those wheels squeal (but don't lock
up)!
The nose wheel only touches when YOU can't keep it off but don't relax
that back elevator -think drag and weight on the mains.

When you do this a few times you will realize that all sorts of new
places are potential landing spots. If you are not comfortable with
the backside of the power curve practice this type of descent at
altitude and note the VSI. Gradually get lower as you get used to the
method and the way your baby responds to throttle.

I'm not an instructor so I could be talking rubbish (perhaps I'm not a
real pilot ;-) One last thing: I learnt from tail dragging -the
landing is NOT over 'til the plane is stopped.

YMMV

Cheers

I think your second sentence is the answer, NOT the first one to
correcting the problem I encountered in the video. *Problem as I
replied to A was that I was intimidated by the real deal 50 foot
obstacle (AKA trees) causing me to make a steeper then normal descent.

I plan to go back and try this again to keep practicing :-)

Coming down on the back side of the power curve works -- what I'm not
sure about is if aerodynamic losses are as effective as braking once
the airplane has weight on the mains. The more weight the more
effective are the brakes. In the end, we may be talking talking about
a difference of 10 or 20 feet in rollout one way or the other. For
what it's worth, powered slow flight deep in the flare ALWAYS drags
the Mooney's tail skid, then that contact pitches the mains down very
firmly! It feels as if it's dropped on from a foot above the runway.
I'd rather land with the nose still coming up with some elevator left,
but on the other hand never had land off field. I suppose if some
condition forced that I'd do what I had practiced rather than
experiment with something else. The theme of this thread has changed
into encouraging us all to do that practice.

You hinted at tail dragger experience so you would NOT be welcome to
take part in that short field hamburger bet I mentioned earlier
unless your taildragger is a DC 3. . It would be a lot easier just to
send you a gift certificate to Ruby Tuesday's.