Old November 10th 04, 10:09 PM
Nathan Young

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 10:40:51 -0700, Scott D. wrote:

My boss, who I fly for and am office manager for, personally ownes a
Seneca II. He had someone come up to him and asked him if he could
use the plane to get his commercial multi since there was no other
multi in the immediate area to do this in. I am also an MEI so my
boss told him that he would look into it and that his pilot "me" was
an MEI and that he could use me as well.

My question is, how do we handle this so that we dont become a flight
school and now have to go thru 100 hour inspections which would
increase the owners costs? I have discussed with the owner the
possiblility of making this guy a limited partner/co-owner in the
aircraft so that we keep from becoming said school and having the
additional inspection put in place. The guy does not really care to
be a part owner for the long haul, just long enought to get his
comm-multi so we are looking at 10-20 hours would be all he would fly.

Your boss can lend his plane to whomever he sees fit, as long as he
does not seek compensation for the hours flown (ie renting).

The next issue is insurance. There are two ways to make sure this
operation is covered.
1. Qualify under the open-pilot clause of the policy. This is
probably something like 1000TT, 250ME, and 50 in Seneca-II.
2. Have your boss add the MEI or the new pilot as a named-insured on
the policy. Unless the MEI/new pilot has similar time as your boss,
expect rates to go up.

-Nathan