Old April 12th 21, 01:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Purists are from Pluto, Motorgliderists are from Mars - #2

On Monday, April 12, 2021 at 6:45:09 AM UTC-4, wrote:
The argument that "purists" are better than "motorgliderists" is an argument used by miserable old men who try to assert that flying "pure" gliders is more difficult that flying motorised gliders in order to discourage the next generation from adopting emerging technologies.
They do this because they themselves own a "pure" (unmotorised) glider and they don't want their large investment to reduce to $0 as people move away from unmotorised gliders.
It's self-interest, through and through.
Simple as that.

Motorised gliders are far better for several different reasons:

1. Reduce risks associated with landouts
2. Faster turn around time between flights
3. No need for expensive equipment for a launch
4. Reduce the number of people required to launch

Richardson, I do not recall mentioning the word difficult on any of my post, that word never came into the conversation. This is all about advantage. Sustainers would have the same turn around time as the purist since the sustainer cannot self launch. The expense of a self launch is probably comparative to a pure glider and a respectable tow plane.
I guess it is just the miserable old man syndrome that keeps us going.