Old May 5th 04, 11:43 AM
Paul Repacholi

Todd Pattist writes:

This one I don't know about. In the U.S. it's pretty common wisdom
that it's worthwhile practicing the egress with a chute, instead of
always unbuckling the chute and leaving it in the aircraft. I don't
know if unbuckling under emergency stress is a real concern. I
think practicing egress while wearing the chute *is* a good idea, as
it's harder than you think.

Years ago I was talking to the crew cheif for Ferrari, and he stated
that they have a `pain of death' rule that you NEVER get into a car
without doing up the belts. The reason for this is to get the drivers
trained so they can undo the harness without even having to think
about it, let alone look for the buckle etc.

A policy to always get out with the chute on would be a good one IMO.
I seem to remeber reading a crash report where the pilot was found
straped in, with the chute undone.

--
Paul Repacholi 1 Crescent Rd.,
+61 (08) 9257-1001 Kalamunda.