Old February 20th 06, 06:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default Gene Whitt is back on line

seriously? banning leaning below 5000'? I guess they enjoy cleaning
lead fouled plugs then.

I can't fathom some blanket rule like that, they should be teaching
proper leaning techniques not banning the use of it.

Robert

John Theune wrote:
Jim Macklin wrote:

I would think that proper leaning should be part of the first solo
flight prep and certainly before any sol x-c. With fuel costs at $40
an hours, saving fuel is a big pay-back.

Except if you operate out of a sea level airport you would not have much
call to lean when all you are doing are local flights to the practice
area and such. Several of the operations I know here actually ban
leaning below 5000 feet. It should be taught long before the cross
countries but it would not be ingrained in the habits of the students
since they would not be doing it often if at all.
John