Old April 16th 07, 03:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
ZikZak

Default VOR routes without VORs

On Apr 15, 1:53 pm, Mxsmanic wrote:
ZikZak writes:
No, it's just fine. Current regs require backup nav equipment be
aboard when navigating by GPS under IFR, but it doesn't require that
you actually use it.

Thanks.

So if I file IFR and my route uses VORs, and at some point I'm out of range of
all the VORs on my route (but still navigating okay because of the GPS, which
just treats them as waypoints and doesn't actually need to be able to receive
the VOR signals), does that mean I'm technically illegal because I wouldn't be
able to fall back onto the VOR receivers I have aboard if the GPS failed?

No, you're not illegal because if the GPS fails you can dead reckon to
the service volume of the next VOR, triangulate your position from
VORs that you're actually in range of, use the ADF, request vectors,
etc.