Old August 22nd 04, 11:39 PM
Krztalizer

Did you guys ever have to fly with a funky "magic box" hooked into AC in
the cargo area and which was supposed to attract enemy missiles toward
it (and the helo) and way from Mother?

Never flew with it. They showed it to us in HS-10 and the crews basically
snickered and walked away.

They told us it would deflect the
missile path at the last moment..

"No....really."

I could never understand why the VS squadrons we did ASW exercises with
at the SOAR range never seemed to get sub contact or maintain contact on
a target we localized and passed off to them. Was it an avionics thing?

It was caused by a tragic inability to hover.

I know we were spoiled having active sonar and all that,

*Bingo*

v/r
Gordon

USN SAR

Its always better to lose -an- engine, not -the- engine.