Old November 26th 04, 08:41 PM
Mike Rapoport

"C Kingsbury" wrote in message
om...
"Icebound" wrote in message
I have been following the thread about "How high is that cloud", and
quite a
few of the posters seems to have some misconceptions about lapse rate.

lot of interesting stuff snipped

1. I find the 2C/1000' "rule" actually gets the bases right most of
the time when the temperature is much over 45 degrees where I fly in
New England.

This works for determining cloud bases because dewpoint increases with
altitude. It does not work for determining stability.

Mike
MU-2

2. Most GA flying happens within 6000' of the ground. I only go over
that on an IFR flight plan or when heading over the water. So things
that happen within that boundary layer are of maximum interest.

3. I've tried to learn weather interpretation beyond simple
METAR-reading. Since you seem to know something about this, what would
you say are the points about lapse rate that we as GA pilots might
want to actually look for in terms of flight planning?

-cwk.