Old November 4th 03, 07:33 PM
Mike Z.

Thanks.

Mechanic is ordering a new breaker from Edmo.

He of course asked if I knew for sure if that was it. "No, but everything is working and you have to start somewhere."

Hopefully get the new one installed before it pops again and blows something else up.

Mike Z

wrote in message ...
You need to replace the main 60 amp breaker. This is a thermal type
breaker and as it gets older the contacts build up oxidation and self
heat more reducing the breaker rating.
You are lucky!! When my 60 amp breaker popped one night the load
dump fried the alternator field, the voltage regulator and the over
voltage lamp.
I measured the 60A breaker and it would pop at 35 amps.
Cessna wants lots of money for the 60 amp breaker but it still is lots
cheaper than a new alternator and regulator.
On a C172M the 5 amp field breaker will NOT protect the alternator
field winding since it is not in series with the alternator field. It
protects the over voltage relay that draws only 0.1 amps.