Old July 3rd 04, 07:38 AM
Bela P. Havasreti

What is the big deal about worn seat tracks?
They're all worn, unless the airplane has less
than 2000 TT or unless they've been replaced.

New tracks are (relatively) inexpensive, and, to
anyone who is half-way competent with a rivet gun/
bucking bar, they're no big deal to replace.

They'll take 10 minutes a piece to drill off, and 10 minutes
a piece to rivet new ones back on.

As I understand it, the AD is based upon a very
few cases where the tracks were so bad, the seat(s)
slid back upon takeoff and a stall/spin crash ensued.

I have cheap ($25 or so dollar) "auxiliary" seat stops
installed on my (currently airworthy) seat tracks which
are a backup/fail-safe measure in the event the tracks
fail me when I shove in all 145hp for takeoff.

Bela P. Havasreti