Old February 3rd 18, 04:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default ClearVav vs. LXNav

I have owned the ClearNav in a Ventus 2C and currently LX-8000 in my JS-1.

Until the recent software upgrade to Version 6, I would have said hands-down the ClearNav was the best.
The ClearNav simplicity and intuitive display is very attractive.

The LXNav Version 6 of the software has introduced a number of features which are pretty cool:
1. Bridge between Becker radio (AR6201). Selecting "Near" airport puts the radio on standby frequency for that airport.
2. Iso lines for AAT optimization are a big improvement, but not as intuitive as the ClearNav.
3. Support for USB downloads/uploads, instead of only SD cards.
4. Flap indicator.

Things that need improving on the LX-8/9000
1. AAT speed achieved seems to be consistently off by a couple of MPH. May be an end-user error (help anyone?)
2. Thermal assistant is not adjusted for wind, so after a few turns, the track is just a smear on the screen (ClearNav/XCSoar is better here).
3. Manuals need an upgrade (ClearNav hardly needs one).
4. Amoeba with lines rather than shading.

I think the comparison of Windows (LXNav) vs Mac (ClearNav) is accurate.
Both are great units, with the new features tipping the scales slightly toward LXNav.

We need an LXNav forum!

David
FC