Old March 10th 18, 04:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Michael Opitz

Default ASW-24

At 15:36 10 March 2018, Dan Marotta wrote:
My aerodynamic interest is piqued.Â* As small as winglets are with
respect to the wings, can you notice or measure a performance

difference
between the three different types of winglets mentioned in this

thread?

On 3/9/2018 5:30 PM, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
As I understand it, there are three different sets of winglets for

the
ASW-24. I had the Nixon ones and liked them. I think there is a

Mark
Maughmer designed winglet and also a factory winglet.

One of Rex's rentals has the Maughmer set and the other has

one of the
others.

On Wednesday, May 25, 2005 at 4:54:34 PM UTC-7, Lee Rusconi

wrote:
I have an opportunity to buy a 1988 ASW-24 which is
in beautiful condition, good electronics and great
trailer. The glider is equipped with M&H winglets.
The asking price is $45,000 US. I would appreciate
any feedback regarding the winglets and/or the price.

Thanks

Dan, 5J

Yes. The factory winglets help noticeably with slow speed handling,
especially climbing in bumpy lift. They do hinder at the higher
speeds though. The Maughmer winglets provide the better climb
performance while not hindering the higher speed glide
performance. Personal observation experience (not scientifically
measured) from having 2 ASW-24's over a period of 10 years.

RO