Old May 12th 05, 11:12 PM
Jonathan Goodish

In article ,
It's not clear where else they could come from, though (except in terms of
embarrassment, as you mention). Accidentally busting an ADIZ is not a crime,
as far as I'm aware; the FBI has already announced that there are no
criminal charges to be pressed.

Seems like a homeland security event to me. I fail to believe that
there can't be exceptions to the NASA ASRS procedures in extreme cases,
and I'd say busing the ADIZ and prohibited airspace is extreme.

The reports so far suggest that the pilot did plan to avoid the ADIZ, so his
planning was not necessarily inadequate. Looks like he just got lost. What
was probably lacking was his navigational skill, though even that isn't
certain--being highly skilled makes elementary errors unlikely, but not
impossible.

I haven't seen or heard anything that suggests that the flight planning
was adequate, but even if it was, the execution was not adequate. I
would say that it's quite certain that the pilot's navigational skills
were not adequate, otherwise he wouldn't have busted airspace as badly
as he did--remember, he didn't just clip the ADIZ and retreat, he was
apparently pretty deep into the ADIZ and the prohibited area.

It seems like the entire event could have been avoided had he been
talking to someone. Apparently, the radio wasn't working. In my
opinion, taking an airplane with an inoperative radio into or around the
DC area is lunacy.

JKG