Old July 26th 03, 05:58 PM
Chris Mark

From: tomcervo@aol

There are probably some people still working with the Martin Caiden book
Ragged
Rugged Warriors--check the bibliography and adjust your respect accordingly.

I don't see that book in their biblio, but they do list Walter D. Edmonds They
Fought With What They Had. Edmonds was a popular novelist (Drums Along the
Mohawk), not a historian, and he wrote a story with an eye to narrative
excitement rather than strick accuracy. I believe Edmonds wrote, or partly
wrote, the script for that old movie "Air Force" about the B-17s flying out to
Hawaii and the PI just as the Japs bomb Pearl Harbor.

I suppose the official USAAF histories remain the most reliable, although they
have a touching belief that orders and official documents actually have some
bearing on reality.

Chris Mark