Old February 11th 06, 05:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default Texas Parasol Plans...

In article ,
"Tater Schuld" wrote:

now here is a perfect example of what I am looking for. free plans, a design
that looks like it could allow a number of different engines, both two
stroke and four, both aircraft and automotive AND other.

my only complaint with it is that the weight loads are tight. looks like a
great grasshopper type plane, with the possibility of using it for a bit
more.

now to find a similar design with a higher payload and room for an extra
seat.

Tater,

OK, you want to fly inexpensively. And, you've deduced that rolling your
own is one way to (possibly) reduce expenses. And, you've stuck around
here and maintained your composure in the face of some snotty comments
from some of the so-called participants here. Great.

I may have missed it, but I haven't seen you state your "mission
profile." Your comments above are a good beginning, but flesh it out a
little. Doing so may help get you further suggestions.

It may help you to make a list of your objectives, including total cost,
time line, skill set you have or are willing to acquire (kit vs.
plans-built), material preference (i love composite planes but wouldn't
want to build one), speed, range, payload, etc. ad infinitum.

Put down every thing you can think of, and then start sorting them out
in order of relative importance. Then post the top five here, and see
whether someone can pull a flying rabbit out of a hat for you.

Also, as others have suggested, there are many ways to get into the air,
including hang-gliding, soaring, powered parachutes, ultralights,
renting, joining a club, etc. When someone offers suggestions like that,
some feedback from you may help to narrow the field. If you *must* own
your own "real" airplane, say so, and let's take it from there.

The cost of flying doesn't just include the cost of the vehicle, it
also includes obtaining training and possibly a PPL, and a host of fixed
and per hour costs like fuel, storage, maintenance, insurance, etc.

Don't underestimate the power of action. Research is great, but once you
get started, magic happens. Join your local EAA chapter and go to
meetings. Buy the magazines that show 200 kitplanes in one issue. Take a
workshop or two.

If you're going to build, start doing it on your kitchen table if you
have to, with a file and a steak knife. If you wait until you have a
2500 square foot climate-controlled workshop with CNC machines and a
$200,000 bank balance, you're going to be walking until you're dead.
Start building, and things will happen that are completely beyond your
control.