Old May 7th 05, 02:51 AM
Jay Honeck

I'm old enough to remember that in the 70s, "climatologists" were
certain that the earth was fast falling into another Ice Age. In the
U.S. the hysteria was such that they even held highly publicized
Congressional hearings on the topic.

Yes, those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it. I remember this
"Ice Age" outcry well.

I also remember the many reputable "researchers" claiming that all the "oil
will be gone by the year 2000." (Actually, some were claiming 1990.)

My father, who worked in the gas & electric industry (as it was called
then -- none of this "energy industry" stuff), used to sit at the dinner
table and rant for 30 minutes about the ignorance and stupidity of these
assertions. He *knew* how much oil and gas was in the ground, and could see
right through the political agenda of these so-called "scientists."

Sadly, the media apparently could not.

At the time, as a young, liberal, earnest, "open-minded" Democrat, I thought
he was an idiot, and told him as much. We were doomed to a horrible future
because of the waste and largesse of his generation, and, dammit, we should
all be driving Pintos and building homes in the sides of hills!

Well, I'm sure he's chuckling right now.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA