Old March 10th 21, 01:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Patrick McMahon[_2_]

Default The decline of gliding - a worldwide issue?

@Eric, I consider gliding a leisure activity, like biking on city trails to get an ice cream.

Soaring is something closer to the Tour de France, or a mountain bike time trial.

Both share a fundamental skill, and you can't race in the Tour de France without being able to take a bike along a city trail to get ice cream.

I agree, a lot of overlap - is a 5h Silver duration flight soaring or gliding?

Floating may be gliding, flying away from home is soaring, task flying to me is a bridge (simplified). Too many clubs are averse to flying away from home and force gliding on their members who are looking for soaring. I empathize with them XC development is rife with risks.

I'm not right, but I don't accept that this sport needs to be in decline, and think that statement should be rebutted at best, or ignored/dismissed.