Old November 20th 12, 09:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Cochrane[_3_]

Default U.S. glider operations fuel prices

On Nov 20, 12:30*pm, Soarin Again wrote:
I recently read a a blurb on the SSA home page that claims the following.

High AVGAS prices ($6-$13/gal currently) are hurting aero tow operations.
Ultimately, US soaring will have to adopt fuel efficient winch launch to
keep the sport affordable

Boy, there is a lot of editorial mixed up with facts there!

Our club flies out of a 1600' runway. Winch would mean buying $1
million or more of land.

Winch means more people. OK, if you have people wiling to work for
free (or not count the actual cost of their time) good for you. If
we're talking about a commercial operation, it's not at all clear that
two more employees at x per hour is cost effective.

John Cochrane