Old October 30th 19, 10:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim White[_3_]

Default 2019 SSA Contest Rules Pilot Opinion Poll Now Open

At 07:14 30 October 2019, krasw wrote:

I should add that proposed scoring change to Annex A (by USA) creates

MASSIVE incentive to scratch home over the last trees and creates a huge
out landing risk.

There is already a strong incentive to scratch home and pretty much
everyone I fly against in the UK 15s would do so anyway. I like the
proposal as it simplifies the scoring rules.

Sensible pilots will choose a flat landable field before the line that can
be used safely if they cannot make the hedge. In circumstances where there
is a finish ring the decision to land will probably be made higher and with
reduced risk.

Landing out is a integral part of competition flying in gliders. We train
for it and do it regularly. If you fly a motor glider (dig) then you
probably are less current and more at risk when the engine doesn't behave.

Jim