Old September 13th 20, 02:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Zoltán Lengyel

Default glider instructors in the US

Dear Lynn, Charlie, and Tom - a big thankyou for your informative and friendly answers, they're all helpful! If everything goes as planned, soon (this fall) I'll have my "CFIG" (which is FI (S) in Europe ) extended to TMG (touring motorglider) instructor, and then the next step will be a PPL refresher training (something like 6-8-10 hours - I used to fly the 210PS constant speed prop low wing aerobatic fixed (nose) gear Zlin Z-142, but lately I flew only gliders and motorgliders). Well, for me motorglider is the best (I fly the Scheibe SF-25 "Falke" which is the German word for "Falcon"), because it's basically a quite simple piston plane (although more difficult to land than a C-150/152, because it's taildragger), in which you can cut the engine and continue with soaring if the weather permits - and in case of an engine failure you have about twice as much time and distance to find a suitable field for emergency landing. (And it's even cheaper to operate than a 2-seater Cessna.)

The idea would be to find a place (basically anywhere in the US) where I could start working as a glider and motorglider instructor (and be paid for that), and then make a Sea Rating (maybe in Florida? I already know Clearwaterseaplanes from there; but there might be other places, too), and then additional ratings (IFR, multiengine, AG etc, backcountry /"bush" flying; covering the training costs with my work) - and I'd be absolutely fine sleeping in a motorhome or caravan at the airfield. I could even imagine giving up my flat, coming with a motorhome and a big trailer (with my SF-34 and SF-25 in it).

In fact I already contacted SSA.org, to find out WHERE they might need glider/motorglider instructors, but, although they absolutely kindly and helpfully responded, too, they said they didn't have information about this, so I should try this mailing list. Which - tadaaaa - already seems to have taken me a half step forward . This whole idea/plan is not for next week anyway, so to speak (and we'll see how this pandemic situation goes), but for next spring/summer or so I could already imagine doing it. (OR, if there's a more urgent need somewhere, we can certainly talk about it sooner.) It's also important to mention that under Part 61 I'm close to being eligible for a CPL, but I'm not really interested in ATPL and big airliners, I'd like to stick with doing instructions, mosquito/cropdusting, and firefighting would be also a "very cool" challenge later on.

So, apart from continuing our conversation in this mailing list here (later on maybe other nice folks will also see this conversation and join in), do you have any hints as to how I could find those places where they'd pay a glider/motorglider instructor ? (It could be also/partly "in kind", like providing accomodation and my further flight trainings.)

Thank you once again, and if you need to know anything about european things, you're absolutely welcome to ask (I'll do my best to answer), either publicly here, or in private (as you prefer).

Best regards ,
Zoltan (a.k.a. "Rocker")