Old November 27th 03, 12:05 AM
Tom S.

"Peter" wrote in message

"Tom S." wrote

When I quit flying some years back, RMI's were expensive and found

generally
only found in the "heavy metal".

Now they seems quite common? What particular advantages do they offer? I
can't find any good articles (other than marketing) on them.

I was wondering if I should add one to a bird I plan to buy?

Thanks

A dual-needle (ADF+VOR) RMI is a brilliant instrument. For NDB
approaches, DME arcs.

But then nearly all people here are in the USA, and in the USA many
people say a GPS replaces an ADF anyway so that's moot...

Indeed it does. In many ways, it replaces VOR's and especially RNAV's of
"yesterday". However, I'd like to dump the ADF indicator and replace it with
an RMI; that, to my thinking, would give me redundancy and even a better
cross-check.

(Update: the offer is in for the F33A I'm looking to buy. If it's accepted,
delivery should be just in time for Christmas...after some specific training
here locally.)