Old November 30th 03, 02:36 PM
Tom S.

"Richard Kaplan" wrote in message
m...
"Tom S." wrote in message

was under the (mistaken??) assumption that they made NDB approaches

easier.

Yes, an RMI does make an NDB approach easier because an RMI shows
easily and intuitively your bearing to an NDB. It works very similar
to an ADF with a slaved rotating compass card. This means that
applying wind correction on an NDB approach is much easier with an
RMI.

That said, I would not recommend investing money in an RMI right now.
Not only can you get TWO electronic RMIs in a Sandel EHSI, but you can
even set up a portable Garmin 195 or 295 or 196 GPS with a bearing
pointer that functions as an RMI.

Plane I look to buy has an HSI already (King 150 AP/FD), but I was thinking
of replacing the ADF indicator with a dual-needle RMI. Also, it's going to
get a Garmin 530 ro replace the King Loran (not much use out here in the
west).

If you have an IFR-legal ADF in
your airplane, it is perfectly legal to fly an NDB approach while you
supplement your ADF navigation with RMI information from your portable
GPS -- just be sure your ADF remains your primary navigational source.

What does the ADF have to be the primary?

Thanks!!

Tom
--
DeBeers ad's through the years: