Old September 9th 07, 02:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

Default Slow Flight

Shirl wrote:
Ol Shy & Bashful wrote:
In my opinion, the pilot who is comfortable throughout the entire
speed range of their aircraft is a properly trained pilot and one who
will not get into an inadvertant stall, or spin.
What are your thoughts?

I think what you said makes complete sense.
But I always wonder how people define "comfortable"? I was trained the
way you described and have repeated the drill more regularly than some.
I can do it if asked or necessary, I understand it, and I know how my
airplane acts. But I don't *like* flying at that edge of the envelope.
Does that mean I'm "uncomfortable"?

No. You never really want to feel completely "comfortable" in the
airplane. You always want to be performing on that "edge" of awareness
when flying that keeps you ahead of the "comfortable" area and more into
the "alert" area. In other words, the correct mental attitude while
flying is one of being relaxed, but on guard and alert....just a bit on
edge as they say......to put it bluntly...SHARP!
Just an aside; beware of the fact that you "don't like" flying near the
edge of the envelope. The normal reaction should be more associated with
an "increased awareness and alertness" when flying in this area. It's ok
for the comfort level to go down as you enter this area, but it
shouldn't go so far down that you actually dislike flying on the left side.
I'd work on that and possibly change from a dislike to feeling just a
bit sharper in this area.

--
Dudley Henriques