Old February 27th 19, 09:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
john firth

Default Strobe light on glider

On Tuesday, January 24, 2017 at 12:22:34 AM UTC-5, Dan Malone wrote:
On Monday, January 23, 2017 at 8:58:52 PM UTC-7, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
A while ago several people remarked that Schleicher gliders offer a strobe was an option.

Below is an URL to a youtube video of such strobe. Typically the strobe is coupled with an unit from LxNav that allow the strobe to be on, only flash with Flarm warning, or off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMdGXX11Bs4

Thanks Jonathan for posting this. I have tried to find a simple LED strobe that I could attach to the glider that would use self-contained battery power. perhaps one on the bottom of fuselage and another behind the canopy. I have done a bit of searching on the web trying to find something - but haven't seen anything yet. If anyone is aware of such an device - would appreciate the info.

In 2017 I designed and installed an LED white strobe driven by
a 10 amp power mosfet,sourced from a 12v 1 ah battery plus super
caps, 2x 5v to give an 18v low impedance power source.
A back to back pair of Chinese 10W white LED s on top of the hor. stab.
The 200msec pulse of 4A 1pps, flash is visible in gloomy
conditions at 400 m. The power stack is recharged by a 12v to 18v
up converter supplied from the glider main bat.
No idea if anyone was alerted.

John F
I have no