Old August 23rd 03, 03:47 PM
Rosspilot

Default expense analysis

I did some analysis of the data I keep (which on the airplane is EVERYTHING)
and thought the readers here might find some of it interesting.

I added up everything I have EVER spent on this 1967 C-172H (acquisition,
upgrades, annuals, fuel, insurance, repairs, parking, new headsets and GPS,
paint job, detailing, new glass, Strikefinder, etc. In short, EVERYTHING spent
on the plane. It is (as of now) $94,900.00.

I have owned the plane for 5.5 years. That means I have paid $17,250 per year.

I have flown the airplane 550 hrs. My cost per flight hour is $172. Maybe
that's where the "172" came from G.

Since I use the airplane in my business, there are significant tax
considerations that offset that cost, BUT

Considering all that goes with owning an airplane, for the joy of it, for the
freedom it represents, the attainment of a lifelong ambition and dream, for the
utilitarian purpose that it serves, for the convenience, and mostly for the
sense of connection between man and a flying machine, it's a HUGE bargain.

Just returned from my third round trip NY-Tampa flight. Left the day of the
blackout at 6:45 AM. Didn't even know about it till arrival in Florida at 4
PM. I am SO glad I decided not to go commercial . . . I would have been caught
in the crush, and sleeping on the airport floor somewhere.

Fuel consumption over the 19.7 (tach) and 23.3 (Hobbs) time was 7.40 gal/hr.

www.Rosspilot.com