Old April 18th 07, 10:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default Wood Prop Question

cavelamb himself wrote:
I believe most of those old wood props had a brass leading edge

cover.
That ought to protect the wood from rain erosion.

KB wrote:
I'm 99% sure that the props I'm talking about didn't have brass
leading
edges. The next time you're at an airshow where a Spitfire is on
display,
take a close look at the prop. On many (most?, all?) the prop is
wood, and
you can't see a transition between a brass leading edge and the wood
blade.
I've done this inspection several times at Osh and SnF...

The props at Osh are replacements for fair weather display.
The original props were for life-&-death combat in european
rainy weather.

== Chris Glur.