Old October 17th 08, 04:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Harry K

Default Arlington Fly-In Lawsuit Reversed

On Oct 16, 3:51*pm, Charles Vincent wrote:
Denny wrote:
While the appeals court ruled in favor of aviation, their (usual)
logic chopping just turns your stomach...

snip

As far as our litigious society goes, I don't like it either, but it is
not necessarily inherent in the system and I don't know that I believe
the system is flawed. *People abuse it. *There are good lawyers out
there ( probably the majority, if the many I know are any indication)
and there are bad ones. *The legal profession by its nature probably
attracts more than its fair share of assholes, but it does not damn the
whole profession. * At the end of the day the lawyers represent clients
that are not generally lawyers. *So the problem is fueled by a
contingent of ordinary citizens that chose to treat our incredible legal
system like a slot machine. *The problem is enabled by a host of
defendants that try to abdicate their moral responsibilities and
preserve their profits by hiding behind the ambiguities of law. Finally
the whole system is greased by a jury of average citizens, which means
six to twelve people that are willfully ignorant of about everything
other than sports and the the latest American Idol contestants. *It also
doesn't help that lawyers seem to prefer their jurors that way -- if you
want a quick exit from jury duty, just tell them you are an engineer or
have an advanced degree.

snip

Anyway, just my opinion, and my facts could be totally off base.

Charles

A lot of lawsuits are filed solely because of ambulance chasing
lawyers. They have nothing to lose, win and they win big, lose and
all they have lost is some time. Given a news-worthy event, accident,
whatever and they will be pounding on the survivor's door "let me file
suit, we may win. I'll take it on 'contingency'".

Big one locally was a stand-off between the cops and an armed suicidal
man. some two hours of talking to him he finally aimed a gun at an
officer. Another officer killed him with two shots (only ones fired).
Yep, lawyeer on door step the next day and filed suit. Last I heard
it has still not been settled.

Harry K