Old December 29th 08, 08:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Mike

Default Updating KLN 94 - Parallels Mac OS X

"B A R R Y" wrote in message
Andrew Andersen wrote:
For those interested, here's an update on this issue:

Did you buy the cable or make one?

I recently purchased an airplane with a KLN-94. I'm handy with a
soldering iron and have located the diagram for the DB9- 4 pin 3.5mm
cable. I have a hard time paying $80 for a cable I can make for less than
$10.

If you purchased the cable, is there anything special about it?

I'm not sure which cable you need. In my case the KLN-94 was retrofit into
a KLN-89B installation, so it has the round connector. I'm not sure if
that's the one they use in new KLN-94 installations. However, if you have
the round connector, it's the exact same connector as the one helicopter
headsets use. The part # is U-93A/U AKA TP-120. Aircraft Spruce has them.

There is nothing special about the Honeywell cable. I compared mine to one
purchased from them and it had the identical connector that I used. If you
are good with a soldering iron you can install the connector in 15 minutes.
It beats the hell out of buying one from Honeywell. If you have the round
connector, I can test my cable and give you the pinout.