Old December 5th 03, 01:48 PM
Billgran

Default Four Winds 192 Crash into the Miami Federal Reserve Building, a year ago today

It's hard to believe that I lost my son in a crash just a year ago. Who
would have believed a year ago this morning that today would have changed
the lives of so many people, both family and friends?

Because of the mis-information that was given to the media soon after the
accident on Dec. 5, 2002, I conducted an investigation into the cause and
chronicled the last few minutes of the fatal flight. It seems there were 2
unrelated problems, the left side electric-seat motor jammed and overheated,
which also ignited gasoline fumes from a leaking right wing tank fitting and
hose. Prior to the flash fire, they knew they had a major problem. They
turned hard right and entered an ememgency decent from 5500' directly toward
runway 12 of Miami International Airport 8 miles away. About the time they
leveled off around 800' near the airport, the fire erupted and they did not
have a chance. Both Gary Williams and my son Richard perished in flight and
the aircraft, in a steep nose-down attitude, impacted the NE corner of the
one-story Federal Reserve Building that was located in a landscaped
executive office park several miles from downtown Miami.

The new prototype Four Winds is incorporating changes to improve the safety
of the occupants. Perhaps my son's death will not be in vain.

Bill Grannis
New Smyrna Beach, FL