Old July 16th 07, 10:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
pgbnh

Default Heart trouble

There are a series of heart symptoms listed in the FAR's that constitute
cause for 'self-grounding' (see 67.). AF is not listed as a condition that
requires you to ground yourself. You can choose to, but if a cardiologist
says you are OK, then I believe you can continue to fly.
The problem comes with the next medical where you must declare the condition
and your treatment. You should expect to have to do the following:
1. Go through a maximal stress test
2. Get a letter from cardiologist indicating his/her judgement of the state
of your cardiac health as well as any and all medications.
3. Possibly produce the results of a Holter Monitor (24 hour EKG).
4. You MAY have to go the 'Special Issuance' route, which means you can plan
on doing 1,2,3 every year.

Not for AF, but I have been doing this process for the last 7 years. PITA,
but I have my medical

If you are a member, call AOPA

On 2007-07-14 18:09:32 -0700, Ron Rosenfeld
said:

On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 07:36:28 -0700, C J Campbell
wrote:

It appears that I am having a little bit of trouble with my heart. It
came on rather suddenly, as an EKG last December showed no problem at
all. But apparently I have developed something called an atrial
fibrillation. It doesn't look good for my flying status, but we shall
see.

If you're otherwise healthy, odds are that it will be controllable (drug
therapy) or correctable (some reversible cause; conversion; or a
procedure
called ablation) and that you'll be able to fly.

How long you won't be able to fly depends on too much information to
glean
here.

I guess I find out more Monday. I suppose some of it depends on what
caused the problem in the first place.

--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor