Old August 18th 03, 08:00 PM
Mark James Boyd

Some more brainstorming possibilities (brainstorming =
vocalizing wild ideas without any critique of whether
they work in a particular instance)

At Dillingham, aerotows were generally with a tailwind.
Above about 10 knots, tows were cancelled because they
used a taildragger (a L-19 maybe?) and the owner had
concerns (there had been ground loops before).

The Southern Eagles site seems to show a trike (Cessna 175)
towing, so tailwinds might not be a concern as much.
And I don't know how strong or the direction of typical
glider weather winds (hence brainstorming).

Is it possible to take off from the runway intersection
the long way on the usually unused runway? Then land
in the other direction and always hold short? If
one treats this runway as a "one-way in, one-way out"
for gliders and tugs, would this work? Clearly there
are other factors that only local pilots would
know to critique this.

It seems that this solves the "intersecting traffic"
problem, and relieves the observer requirement.
Whether it works in other ways is unknown.

I noticed Allan mentioned the airport manager cannot
restrict landings. Absent from his comments were
whether an airport manager can restrict takeoffs.

Of course I believe Allan meant to say that the airport
manager cannot discriminate between classes of landing aircraft.
Certainly he can open or close runways at will (restrict landings).
If he despises gliders to the extent presented here,
I'd assume he'd get the Soaring Eagles to agree to use
the less popular runway, and then close it "indefinitely"
to fix the lights.

I'd ask the FAA what the plan is for your gliders if the
airport manager closes one of the runways.