Old February 19th 04, 03:26 PM
Tarver Engineering

"Pete" wrote in message

"Tarver Engineering" wrote in message

"Pete" wrote in message

"Tarver Engineering" wrote

Mach 2.3 was normal operating speed in the squadron I worked for.

Our
people believed the F-106 was aerodynamicly limited to that speed.

"normal operating speed"
Where was the normal AO?

Going mach 2.3 in an F-106 does not harm the airplane.

Going much faster than mach 2.3 is not an option in an intact F-106.

I don't question the -106 speed, but rather where they were doing it as

part
of "normal operations"

Our F-106s flew to Santa Barbara, air refueled, flew to 55,000 feet and then
headed for the Bearing Straight to meet their Soviet counterparts. Nose
down from 55,000 feet can make a lot of speed.