Old April 22nd 04, 05:29 PM
Kevin Brooks

"Harry Andreas" wrote in message
In article , "Kevin Brooks"
wrote:

If it was a 7mm, it was probably a 7mm Remington Magnum round. And those
fellers do get big, don't they? When I went to Alaska, my first stop was

visit a buddy stationed at Wainright flying UH-1V medevac helos. We

talked
before I flew up there and I told him I was also going to be heading

down to
the southern area to do some solo fishing. He vetoed my plan to bring my

..45
along as my bear-persuader; I'll never forget his words: "Look, you need

bring a *real* gun; I have seen grizzlies out here so big that I won't

even
fly my Huey down near them..." So I took the 12 ga--and saw zero bears.
(But, to give you the Paul Harvey "rest of the story", the following

year a
lady was killed hiking along a creek I had fished just outside

Anchorage, so
taking a gun was not an unwise decision).

Pepper spray and .357's are OK for the local mountains here.
If camping where there are for sure grizzlies, then it's hello Mr. 12 Ga.
1 round of #4 buck in the chamber (to get his attention, maybe scare him

off)
followed by 5 rounds of Foster type slugs. None of that sabot stuff.
At short range, the full weight foster or brenneke slugs work better.

I just carried a full load of slugs--figured he'd be big enough that I
couldn't miss, so no need for buckshot, and the only running shot I was
worried about was him coming dead *at* me. Sold the gun after I got back
home, being as I had no need for a slug-barreled gun around here (don't do
any deer hunting anymore).

Brooks

--
Harry Andreas