Old May 5th 18, 11:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default Soaring not compatible with modern society?

IIRC, there was another light plane in the pattern and the airline crew
saw it and called "Tally ho".Â* I don't recall all of the communications,
but I'd bet that the tower then said, "Maintain visual separation" and
everyone got complacent.

On 5/5/2018 10:26 AM, BobW wrote:
On Monday, 25 Sep, 1978, a B-727 crashed in San Diego following a
collision
Â*with a Cessna 172.Â* To my knowledge 172s are still flying.

No one is listening to our "safety blather", but the first mid-air
between a glider and a commercial jet will definitely curtail our
sport.

And just for the possible edification of some (younger? non-U.S.?) RAS
readers, the San Diego mid-air led to the imposition of 'Terminal
Control Areas' around 'busy U.S. airports.' It was also - and likely
is still - routinely misreported as 'Cessna crashes into airliner'
when in fact the very opposite was true, despite both planes being in
contact with San Diego A/P radio and identified to/in both cockpits as
being in potential flight-path-crossing conflict. IMHO, a classic
example of complacency combined with the limitations of both 'see and
avoid' and technology-assisted collision avoidance.

Much as everyone today seems to wish for it, 'risk-free perfection' in
the skies is an oxymoronic concept. And, no, the preceding assertion
should *not* be assumed my 'comprehensive, philosophic, elevator
opinion' regarding concept(s) involving technology-assists in the
collision-avoidance field...

Bob W.

---
http://www.avg.com