Old May 10th 18, 03:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Koerner

Default Spot or InReach ??

On Wednesday, May 9, 2018 at 10:54:53 AM UTC-7, RR wrote:
Kirk, one reason spot might be working well for you is location. Spot uses geostationary satellites and has better signal in the center of the country. For us on the edges, not so much. My "track record" was about 75% success. Inreach also has delivery confirmation so a much higher success rate, and it is truly global, so works as well on the coast as it does anywhere else. And with the plan T8 described, about the same yearly cost...

Rick

Wrong, Rick. Spot uses low earth satellites that are whizzing by. Globalstar has upgraded their satellite network (replaced broken ones) in recent years so I'm sure performance now is better than it used to be. The biggest issue people have with Spot performance is its placement. For best result antenna should aim up with a clear view of sky. It's really a statistical thing. For the most part the satellites are going to be in the low sky near the horizon. So it's actually having a clear view of the sky around the horizon that matters most for best performance. Personally, I moved on to InReach years ago as I greatly value the two way messaging that InReach offers.