Old February 19th 19, 06:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Electric Brakes On Komet Trailer

I don't think disabling trailer brakes is a good idea. There is stability under heavy braking to consider not just retardation. I have twice, separated by about 25 years, had the situation of having to emergency brake on a motorway, the trailer start to swing out (not just sway) and then snap straight as the trailer brake bit fully. My impression was that if the trailer had been unbraked one or both times it would have jackknifed and possibly caused a multiple vehicle incident. Thankfully I will never know for sure but I would never tow a glider trailer any distance without good brakes.