Old November 5th 04, 03:20 AM

On 4 Nov 2004 15:35:36 -0800, (John Galban) wrote:

"Rich S." wrote in message ...

Whatever you do... don't tell them it's for an airplane...

Learned that lesson well when I was building. Example - an automotive spring
shop refused to sell me some leaf spring stock until I came back the next
day and told them it was for an invention for the handicapped and NOT for an
airplane. Spring stock fer Pete's sake!

I like to tell them I'm building a variable oscillating frambulator.
That pretty much results in a blank stare from the other side of the
counter, and an end to the questions.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)

My experience has, to a large extent, been opposite. When they find
out I'm building a plane they get all interested, and in one case said
they would not sell me the part for the plane but would gladly GIVE it
to me. They just happened to have a spring leaf the size I needed for
my tail-wheel that had been "mis-drilled" and I was welcome to it.

All the wreckers in the area know what I'm doing and will gladly sell
me anything I can dream up.