Old December 14th 19, 06:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Scott Manley[_3_]

Default Tesla Model 3 and a glider

On Friday, December 13, 2019 at 4:19:35 PM UTC-5, bertvaneyken wrote:
Is there anyone using a Tesla Model 3 to tow his/her glider regularly?

Curious about the impact on range and usability to go on (European) gliding holiday.

I have been towing my 15m Cobra metal top trailer (13.5m Silent 2 Electro) back and forth between WI and FL for the last three years using a Telsa Model X 100D. When not towing, I plan for 3 kWhr/mile. When towing the glider trailer, I plan for 2 kWhr/mile. It is usually less than 2 kWhr, but I like to be conservative.
So with the 100 kWhr battery, and planning to arrive at the next charging location with a 20% charge reserve, I need to find a charger every 160 miles or so. Tesla's supercharger network lines nearly every Interstate highway in the U.S. with average distances between charging locations averaging closer to 80-100 miles. Lots of hotels also offer Tesla destination charger services that will easily and adequately charge a vehicle overnight. For reference, the Model X has a 5000 lb towing capacity. My glider/trailer weighed in at less than 1500 lb.