Old July 22nd 04, 06:10 AM
Dude

IMO, you might as well have 2 of these things, so you might as well get dual
430's or a 430/420 combo.

Seriously, too many of us are slaves to these things now (we should not be,
but unless you fly a lot of IFR, you likely really need one). I suppose it
may be better to have a handheld back up, but that means practicing with it,
and keeping extra batteries, etc. Also, its easier keeping a second
database up to date if both are the same machine.

The 530 does have extra features, but the dual 430's are plenty nice for me,
and since I want two, it would mean having a 530 AND a 430/420.

I can't say much about the CNX80 as I only used one for about 10 minutes.
The graphics were nice though.

"Mike Adams" wrote in message
What's the latest thinking on the GNS-430 vs. the CNX80? I'm planning a
panel upgrade and have read all the magazine articles, including the
comparison in Aviation Consumer, but it would be interesting to hear from
some actual users on how they compare. It seems the general impression is
that the CNX80 is more capable (WAAS, airways in the database, etc.), but
may be a little harder to use for the VFR and light IFR user. Is it really
too "heavy duty" for casual use? Is it worth the extra $2 to $3K?

Thanks,
Mike