Old December 27th 06, 03:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft
Stuart & Kathryn Fields

Default Building a Gyrobee

TM: As an engineer (electronic and not mechanical) I built and taught
myself to fly a Benson back in the days when dual instruction was just not
available. You shouldn't have any problem if you take care and think the
processes through before you cut or drill. Remember to think about it two
or three different times, measure it at least twice and think about what you
did and then cut or drill. Always be willing to trash a piece that you made
a mistake on and do it again. I have now built a Safari Helicopter from a
kit, did my own aluminum welding and a bunch of modifications of my own
design. The above process has worked pretty much.

--
Stuart Fields
Experimental Helo magazine

www.vkss.com
www.experimentalhelo.com

"TM" wrote in message
ups.com...
Greetings, all.

I am new to this group, but I have been studying Gyros for a few years.
I've decided on building a Gyrobee. I'd love to build one from
scratch, doing my own cutting and drilling, not for the cost savings
but just because I'm an engineer at heart and love to build things.
The only problem is that I have no experience doing the *precision*
cutting and drilling required by this project. I'm willing to get the
tools and practice, but since my safety is at stake, I'm hesitant,
thinking I should buy ready-to-assemble kit.

So what say you? Can a good weekend mechanic build a gyro from
scratch?

Thanks,
TM