Old April 28th 18, 10:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
john firth

Default push rod and bearing inspection.

Further to my post on corrosion in the wing, I have completed inspection of
everything I could see of the drive mechanism of my PIK 20E flaperon drives.

A fibre optic monochrome display was very hard to interpret; However
a 10w white LED ( at 2 w) on a 1/4 in Al tube allowed visual inspection
of the rod ends through the access holes. I was happy to find negligible
corrosion. The glider is tied down with covers most of the season.

Lubrication was via a 1/8 tube attached to a pressure oil can with SAE 40
motor oil, but a drip feed would work perfectly well.

Many sections of the mylar seals were coming loose due to the adhesive
being dried out; this is a pain. I wonder if there is a good alternative to
the double sided transfer tape.
Is contact cement any better after 3-4 years?

John F