Old July 6th 08, 05:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Stuart & Kathryn Fields

Default Mixing alcohol with gasoline

wrote in message
On Mon, 09 Jun 2008 00:10:42 -0400, Sliker
wrote:

On Tue, 27 May 2008 20:34:40 -0700, "Stuart & Kathryn Fields"
wrote:

We saw an experiment where an antiqu indicated horsepower device that was
used on locomotives was used and an antique hit and miss piston engine.
The
indicated power gage plotted piston position vs pressure and the area
under
the pv curve was power. With as little as 10% ethanol added the loss of
power was apparent. We also tried acetone, mek and some other octane
boosters. They all had the effect of reducing power.

Stu Fields

They had to run a test to find out that?
Alcohol contains olny about 60% of the power in gas so the power loss
should be quite noticable even with 10%. With E85 you are looking at
close to a 40% drop.
Roger (K8RI) ARRL Life Member
N833R (World's oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

No we didn't have to run a test. It was just a demonstration of his engine
and the internal power measurement device. I had never seen one of these
devices work, so it was a interesting thing for me to observe the device in
operation with different fuel mixtures. The device had a measure of
resolution that surprised me. Further discussions of the technique lead to
ideas of how it might be adapted to measure Hp in real time on a Lycoming.
Further how might that be adapted to show sticky valves and individual
cylinder problems.
Stu