Old February 2nd 06, 04:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default bad cylinder

"Denny" wrote in message
ps.com...
Lycoming had an AD on cylinders in 1976 and that AD has since been
canceled...In fact, the only current AD's regarding cylinders for
Lycomings that I can find on a quick search are against ECI and
Superior...
I don't have an axe to grind here... I'm interested in facts...

denny

Not sure who you are talking to as you have not seen fit to include anything
other than your response. Lycoming has had numerous ADs on crank shafts
(the numbers are still growing). Continental cylinders have been junk for
decades. There was (and still is) an AD on some Continental cylinders that
requires retarding timing to reduce power to prevent cylinder cracking.
They kept promising the problems were fixed but each generation was as bad
as the last. The reason ECI and Superior came to be is in part due to what
Lycoming and Continental were producing. The ADs against ECI and Superior
are insignificant compared to some of the Lycoming ADs. ADs don't tell the
whole story, in fact as far as long term reliability is concerned they tell
you almost nothing. Only when a problem becomes a safety factor does it
have a chance to become an AD. Cylinders wearing out in a couple hundred
hours will most likely not generate an AD.