Old February 13th 06, 04:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default Floats on small aircraft

wrote in message

Pipers are used up here a lot by many people. A guy at work used to
take his PA22 and fly, with his wife, to west Ak. Get a carabou and
then fly back so I know they can do it. Lots of folk have them on
floats.

My experience is mostly with 172's except abt 10 hrs in a 210. The
172's wld carry 3 guys and camping gear.

A neighbor is an old A&E guy and he suggested an Aeronica. I rem my dad
flew that long ago along and the L-19's.

I thgt the Fox kits wld do floats.

Well thaks for your input. Im gonna file all this so i can decide.

A PA-22 (some models) have a useful load of up to about 900 lbs. If you
want to take 2 people, subtract 350 pounds, and another 150 lbs for gas.
Subtract around 200 lbs (or more?) for the floats. What are we up to? 700
pounds. That means you only have 200 lbs left for gear, or whatever you
want, but you said you wanted to carry several hundred pounds. Therefore,
this does not meet your stated needs.

The C-172 I looked up has a useful load of 940 lbs, but some of that will be
eaten up by the need to carry more fuel for the thirstier engine, so once
again, the load carrying will not be enough for what you stated.

I just think that you need to be realistic, about the size of the plane you
will need, or be prepared to downsize your requirements.

By the way, I love your idea, and hope that one day, I willl be doing much
the same thing. :-)
--
Jim in NC