Old January 7th 17, 11:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default Advice on motor glider wanted - FES - Jet - Engine

Oh! Learn something new every day. That's a good thing!

On 1/7/2017 4:13 PM, AS wrote:
On Saturday, January 7, 2017 at 3:10:38 PM UTC-5, Dan Marotta wrote:
One problem I've seen is getting low away from a landable area following
flight in very cold air, e.g., wave. Whereas my Stemme has very little
increase in drag during engine start, and it starts quickly and
reliably, there's a requirement not to use much power until the oil
temperature reaches a certain level. Even with cowl flaps closed, that
can take 5 minutes or more to achieve. Fortunately, with power just
above idle, the Stemme has little to no decent.

Having flown turbojets in Alaska and turbofans in the lower 48, I don't
recall any cautions about oil temperature, though good sense should
prevail. There should be enough temperature for oil to circulate. The
jets would start and run just fine at -40 deg F.

Dan, as far as I know, the small jets we are talking about here or at east the one I looked at seriously in an ASW-20CLJ do not have any oil circuit. The main bearings are lubricated by the jet fuel which is fortified by turbine oil.

Uli

--
Dan, 5J