Old January 8th 17, 05:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Hoult

Default Advice on motor glider wanted - FES - Jet - Engine

On Sunday, January 8, 2017 at 5:58:33 AM UTC+3, Steve Koerner wrote:
I side with Bruce. It's pretty obvious to me that FES is the better choice. I believe Bruce left off the most important advantage of FES...

That being the higher inherent reliability of operation. I can't prove it, but my own feeling is that FES would be an order of magnitude more reliable in starting up. And you'll know much more quickly whether it did or did not. The only real downside to FES is the drag that the folded props will introduce. I'm thinking that the tactical benefit of having a reliable motor escape will prove to be well worth the small added drag over the course of a multi-day event.

I assumed that "instant starting" implies that you know right away whether it's going to start or not.

You can safely use this to scratch lower, near a landable area, and pull the trigger much later in your landing approach.

Assuming that it *will* always start 100.000% of the time, and using that assumption to fly low over unlandable areas would be foolish. Things do become disconnected sometimes. If you insist on doing this then at least test it for a few seconds in flight before you start the task! That eliminates many of the bigger risks. But personally I'd always try to have an escape route or landing area available.