View Single Post
Old June 5th 17, 12:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Wally Tamsen
external usenet poster

Default Jantar Standard 3 water ballast tank repair

On Tuesday, March 14, 2017 at 10:47:58 AM UTC+2, wrote:
On Monday, March 13, 2017 at 4:48:27 PM UTC+8, wrote:
Hello, has anyone here repaired a leak on the ballast tanks of a Jantar Standard 3 glider? I don't mean washing the tanks with paint but accessing the inside of the tanks to repair a leak.

I would like to know how the tanks are constructed. Are they separate tanks installed in the wings or do the spar and wing skins form the tank sides?

I am considering buying a Jantar with leaky ballast tanks and am trying to assess how big a job it is to make them water tight.

Hoping you can help.

regards

Andrew

Hi Everyone. Thankyou for your replies and comments. This seems a common problem with Jantars. Justin, I would much appreciate some photos of the wings and tanks when you get a chance. Seems to me that holes will have to be cut in the wing skin and the tank skin to access the insides of the tanks. The technical manual refers to this process as a "special repair" I have emailed Allstar for details but sounds like I shouldn't hold my breath!

regards

Andrew

This sounds interesting. (As in 'May you have an interesting life'.) I have recently acquired the use of a Jantar Std 41-A, which I would presume has the same construction. Any pictures or repair hints would be greatly appreciated. I have not tried the ballast yet, but even if there are no leaks now, sooner or later... I may as well be prepared.

Wally