Old February 22nd 19, 05:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default We all talk about "oh poop planning" usually relating to near theground....another view...

That was great reading, but not really useful for self-launch gliders.Â*
In multi-engined aircraft, following an engine failure, the pilot has
the option of returning to land, ejecting (if so equipped), continuing
to a maintenance facility (if the aircraft has the performance), or
motoring along to the site of the crash.Â* I don't know of any production
self-launching glider with more than one engine so an engine failure is
simply the same as a failure of a tow, except for the drag of the
engine/prop (except in a Stemme).

If you're new to self launch gliders, consider this advice:Â* Plan and be
prepared to have an engine failure as you would plan for an air or
ground launch failure, only consider the added altitude required to
return to the runway due to increased drag over a pure glider.Â* You
likely won't be able to return to the runway with an engine hanging up
in the air stream.

On 2/22/2019 9:50 AM, Clay wrote:
As someone about to transition to a self-launcher, this is very timely. But great stuff for anyone. Thanks Charlie

--
Dan, 5J